I and the Bird

Powered by Blogger

February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 /

Friday, April 21, 2006
 

Re: Carpe-ing the Diem


Well I balked yesterday at my attempt to find the White-Faced Ibises at Huntley Meadows and it's already biting me in the ass. The birds are MIA from the swamp today and it's not likely that they'll return once they're gone. Awful. John of A DC Birding Blog left an ominous message about the fickle habits of migrants like the WFI, but I hoped he would be proven wrong this time. In my defense, though, there's no way I would have made it down to Huntley before, say, 7:30. I promise.
It's shaping up to be a lame weekend all around. I was planning on going to Nationals games both tonight and tomorrow night (growing up a baseball fan in Maine didn't provide much opportunity, aside from yearly Fenway trips, to see Major League ball so now I'm grabbing as much as I can like a guy in one of those flying-money booths), but the forecast is set to THUNDERSTORM both nights. Thanks, thanks a lot. So no birding and no baseball. Fantastic.
In slightly better news (or maybe nature just rubbing it in) it appears that waves of migrants are swooping into the area. Some 8 warbler (and 1 tanager) days are already being reported...and this rain will only serve to ground the birds around us. I'll plan on hitting up the Arboretum and KAG, storm or no storm. Migrant targets: Hooded Warbler, LA Waterthrush, prairie Warbler, Summer Tanager. Wish me luck.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: Portland, ME




Free Counters
Counter

Birding Top 500 Counter

Carnival of the Green