I and the Bird

Powered by Blogger

February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 /

Thursday, May 04, 2006
 

Frustration and Kenilworth


Very disappointing afternoon of birding at Kenilworth Park. I don't know what my problem is so far this year but I'm having very little luck finding migrants. Part of it has to do with the fact that I'm still learning songs. Part of it has to do with the fact that it was late and many of the birds had gone quiet or to the nest. It's extremely frustrating, though, sitting in your office on a beautiful day and reading emails about local birders (who somehow get to go birding every single day!) seeing 20+ warbler species just down the road from me.
Sorry for the rant, but I rushed home and started the drive to Kenilworth only to get caught in Nationals traffic. When I finally got there I was hoping for at least one or the other of the Blue Grosbeaks or Vesper Sparrows that have recently been reported there. Yet, no Grosbeaks singing from the trees. No sparrows of any kind, anywhere. No Waterthrush at the banks of the river. No Hooded Warblers in the underbrush. Most frustrating of all: twice did I trace a singing bird to a tree but was unable to find it in the foliage and then watch it zoom off, unidentified, into the sun. Of the few birds I did manage to identify (all of about 4), only a pair of Common Yellowthroat were new to me this season.
BUT. I love it. And I'll be back.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: Portland, ME




Free Counters
Counter

Birding Top 500 Counter

Carnival of the Green