I and the Bird

Powered by Blogger

February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 /

Tuesday, May 16, 2006
 

The Rain in Maine Stays Mainly...Everywhere


I have been out of the district for a few days now for my girlfriend's graduation and it's been a welcome break. Yesterday we made the drive to Portland to hang out, see my family and look for some birds. The problem is, and you'll guess if you've seen the news in the last few days, is that Maine and the rest of New England are in the midst of a week straight of rain. On the drive up every single river and stream was flowing over its banks. It rained all last night (through the nice dinner and drinks) and most of today, and the forecast calls for another 5 days.

Despite the weather I made quick stops at my favorite Maine birding spot, Evergreen Cemetery. As expected, the rain kept most things down, but I did see my first-of-season Spotted Sandpiper, Ruby Crowned Kinglet and my Maine first Baltimore Oriole. I'd love to be here the day after the storm passes for the wave of migrating warblers that will follow.

Anyway that's all there is to report. Later this week I'll hopefully have some Goshawk and Crossbill stories. Stay tuned.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: Portland, ME




Free Counters
Counter

Birding Top 500 Counter

Carnival of the Green