I and the Bird

Powered by Blogger

February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 /

Sunday, October 01, 2006
 

Sabine's Gull on the Susquehanna



Anyone who has followed my every word knows that at one point I stated that the bird I would most like to see is the Sabine's Gull. I think it's beautiful. Bold wing markings with contrasting white triangles near the 'elbows'...it just looks exotic and oceanic.

There was a Sabine's reported in the aftermath of Ernesto, but I don't think many people got to see it. For the last day or two, however, a Sabine's has been seen reliably at the Conowingo Dam near the mouth of the Susquehanna River in northeast Maryland. Here are some directions.

As much as I would have liked to gone up and seen this bird...I'm not really in any rush. I've got plenty of birding years ahead of my and I know a Sabine's will cross my path again sometime. So, since I was busy and didn't really feel up to a 1.5 hour drive, I'll let the bird alone. If it wants to come perch in front of my window, though, that'll be a different story.

For those of you demanding photographic proof, here's a link to the photo site of extremely talented Maryland photographer, Mark Hoffman.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: Portland, ME




Free Counters
Counter

Birding Top 500 Counter

Carnival of the Green